Saturday, April 18, 2009

Zack's last trip to the big city


(Zack wrote this of his last supply trip to the capitol city of Lusaka)
The last few days I took what I planned to be my last trip to Lusaka before I leave for Iowa. It was going to be a day and a half trip, it ended up being a two and a half day trip. Everything takes sooo long to get anything done. The first day we went to the embassy to get my new passport, that was uneventful, then off to immigration. still not a big deal, as we were leaving we went down one of the most busy streets in the city. They had the whole street blocked off, a marching band and about 1000 people were marching with "Labour Day 2008" banners. I was confused. Last i checked, it was 2009?? anyway we took a lot of side streets to finally get where we were going. Finally, I asked someone if it was Labor day, Of course it wasn't. "why were they marching", I asked. He then informed me that they were Just practicing for the real Labor day on May 1st, and they will do it a couple of more times before then too. it is no wonder why this country is so messes up.

I was able to get another huge load of supplies to put together the next couple of weeks. This trip to Lusaka made me glad that i had Randy to do a lot of these trips for me. We are planning to have the well driller here tomorrow morning to start. We have the pump here ready for installation. The water tower is built and being painted. we will then carry it to the place and tip it up. It will be very good to have clean water. Please pray that we could get electricity to the site before I go.

It is kinda surreal to think that I am going to be heading home in 2 weeks. the time has gone fast. this is the great past though, seeing it all come together. next week the facility will host the pastor training. Of course there will be a lot of things unfinished, but it is better than the grass huts they used at the site last time.

I got a ticket for driving without a license the other day on my way to Lusaka. I had an international license, but it expired in January. I wonder what all of the other officers thought when i showed them since January? oh well, I was in the wrong, so i paid the ticket and I didn't want to argue that one.

Today was the first time since November that I have had a Nshima craving. Those of you that have been here know what that means, the rest of you, ?ask someone who has. So we had some for supper tonight. complete with cabbage and scrambled eggs.

My friend Jen, from Minnesota, is still here heading up the painting crew. She is doing an awesome job and is planning on coming back for a while in July to finish up and loose ends on the painting and finishing details.

The rains are now over. This is the best time of the year here. No rain, things are still green and the temperatures are mild. It is kinda like early fall at home. It is the beginning of winter here. it will continue to get colder at night and still be nice (70's) during the day.

Not sure it I wrote it or not, but i will be home on May 2nd. it will be bitter sweet. but more sweet.

No comments: