Sunday, March 1, 2009

Outbreak!


(from Zack in Serenje)
There is a small village not far from here. I guess "far" is relative. It is about 90 kilometers from here. All on bad bush roads. One English lady here told me it is about as far into the bush as you can get in Zambia. The place is called Chisomo, also locally known as "the valley". I visited there a couple of years ago with a team from Cornerstone. We traveled there in the back of a truck for about 6 hours. While we were there we showed the Jesus film and started a church. Pastor Navice has been working with the leaders there to grow the church.

Why am I telling you this? Well, as I was working today with one of the guys Willard. We saw some helicopters flying over. I thought that was kinda odd so I asked him what they were doing. He said that there is an out break in a village called Chisomo. He said it was cholera, and "people were dieing like animals". (he was surprised that I had been there, as he had lived here for his whole life and never been there) I later found out that they don't know what the problem is, all they know is that lots of people are dieing. The government is bringing in food, medicine and doctors to help out. I don't know a lot about this stuff but I do know that things have to be pretty serious to have this kind of relief come in. I know that there are many who are very sick.

Chisomo is a desolate place, frequent floods, poor farm ground, located at the end of a long, bad, road to nowhere there is little traffic from outside, little food, little medicine, and little hope. It is one of the most hopeless places I have ever seen. I was just talking with a government official about the village on tuesday, before all of this came up. I asked why they don't leave, with all the suffering and stuff? He said that the government had offered to relocate them but they refuse. They like looking at the mountain views, their ancestors are buried there, they can't leave. They will suffer and die there because that is where their forefathers brought them. My worker Willard put it well saying that "they are ignorant." The picture above is a picture I took there of their school when I was there August 2007.

(Note from Jeff -- When Zack and I visited there with some others in 2007, some kids were in this school and when they looked out the windows and saw us coming with our white skin, they jumped out of the back windows of the school in fear. They'd never seen white people before!)

Please pray for those who are dieing and suffering in Chisomo. Pray that God would use this to grow the church there and draw people to Himself.

3 comments:

Chris Brauns said...

Jeff,

We are reading these posts in Stillman Valley, IL. We talked about them at our missions committee meeting last week and even about an emphasis on Africa in August.

It must be a pain to take the time to do this. But, I think the updates are worth it.

I pray that the Lord will be with this village.

Chris.

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for the HOPE center and cannot wait to help out in some way.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jeff,
I met you in Stillman Valley. I will be praying for your work and a healing for this country. May Jesus reveal himself through your team and bring the lost into a life changing relationship where they can have Hope. God Bless, Marc Romine