Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in Zambia


Christmas was ok. Not really a big deal made it is here in the rural area. We went to a 3 hour service at a local church here. I guess they don't mind sitting on a small plank for 3 hours, but I was numb after the first hour.
After Church we made dinner and relaxed for the afternoon. Friday, we set up the room next door for Jack, the new arrival, and James, another guy coming back with Randy in January.
Saturday morning we set off in the van with a cooler full of food and a few essentials and headed North. We weren't really sure where we were going to end up, but we had some ideas. We were going to drive and sleep in the van and have a good old fashion adventure.
We ended up visiting a large estate set up by an Englishmen in the early 1900's He didn't like the way the English treated the Blacks so he tried to set up a "utopia" community. It was very neat to see old English architecture in the middle of Africa. The property also has some hot springs where we made home for the night. There was a small lodge near the springs with lush gardens and a few small chalets near the riverside. They were fully booked, but when we told them that we were going to sleep in the van, they offered us a spare room they had for a very low price. The hot springs were AMAZING. No sulfur smell, hot water, jungle like vegetation all around. We sat for hours soaking in the calming waters. It was just like my hot tub at home. Kinda.
On the way home we Stopped at Kundulila Falls, the same falls I visited s few weeks ago, only it was a lot different this time, with all of the rain we have had, they were much more violent than before, it was still fun to swim under them. We bought some car tire tubes to float on.
All in all it was a good relaxing weekend. There is a lot to see in Zambia, it was good to get out and see more of it. This week is another big week. We will start manufacturing trusses for our buildings. We also have a lot of dirt to move to backfill our foundations. Please pray that the rains will hold off. Also, pray for those that heard the Gospel on Christmas, and that we could help them in their walk with the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Zach, I'm so amazed at how the LORD has provided for you there --- according to this entry. He brought waters of refreshment and has pointed out the fact that He is LORD of this project. I remember when my first born son came on the scene and he was quite a handful crying all night. My husband seemed to be able to handle the stress of it, but I was sure it was going to kill me. Maybe I felt the weight of it more. But one day I was rocking him and he fell asleep and my soul was resting from the stress when the LORD said to my heart..."I will give you rest. Trust me. This isn't more than you can bear with Me." And I truly knew it was He speaking. I knew I could rest. I'll pray the same for you as you take on the nurturing of this project and the lovely burden for these people. Thanks again for being there. My prayers are with you and those on the project...jane