Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

A lot has happened since I have written last, unfortunately, I find it difficult to put into words, so I will just have to laugh to myself. Today is thanksgiving, as you know. I find it especially easy to find things to be thankful for while living here. Not having to worry about having enough to eat for one, being able to see a doctor when i want, being able to have a job, and provide for myself. All of which is deprived from most of the people who passed by my door today as I prepared a turkey dinner. I am also remembering, as I am away today how thankful I am for my family and friends at home.I wrestled today with my ability to show compassion, something that has always been a weakness of mine. An old man, barley able to speak came to me to ask for some money or food. This is pretty common, but he seemed to be different. He showed evidence of being in need he had recently had a surgery, indicated buy the incisions on his abdomen that he so humbly raised his shirt to show me. He didn't speak English well, so I had difficulty understanding him, but I gathered that he couldn't eat regular foods because of the surgery he wanted to get some bread, which is about 1/5 a days wages. (but this man was in no shape to work). I immediately wrote him off as another beggar, I left him behind. My fear was that if i helped him, he would be back every day, or wondering what I would do with the next needy person, after all they are all around. After wrestling with my conscience, i decided to give him 2,000 kwacha (50 cents) and a mostly eaten loaf of bread. When I approached him, perhaps 15 minutes after our first encounter, I touched his shoulder, and woke him, handed him the bread. What I saw in his eyes is something that i will not soon forget, it was the look, i could see in his eyes, he mumbled something, but I paid no attention,I just fixed my eyes on his saw it, it was an image of true thanksgiving. I think he as already written me off as another wealthy white man who wasn't willing to practice what I was advocating. Thankfully, God can even work through someone as cold hearted as me. Today I saw an image of thanksgiving that brought true meaning to what today is all about.We did get to enjoy a turkey dinner. It was a good reminder of home. It is great having Randy here to share this experience with, but i do miss my friends and family at home. Thanks for all of your diligent prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your vulnerability in sharing your initial lack of compassion for the beggar who was also hurting due to his surgery. I'm reminded of the story Jesus told about the two sons called to work in the vineyard (Matthew 21:28-31). The one said he would, but didn't, and the other said he wouldn't, but afterward did. I think your change of mind pleased the Father and brought the kingdom close to that man. Somehow I get a picture in my mind of his reaction, as you said it was a picture of true thanksgiving. Somehow I can see his surprise and your surprise by the joy you received in trusting God to keep you in such a ravaged land as you choose to be generous. And God's love is always generous, even if we have nothing. Wouldn't it be wonderful to know how to consistently point to the Father and to override all of the barriers that language and sin puts up? I will pray that the Lord Jesus will continue to help you to trust Him.
...jane