Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Remembering to be Merciful

Jesus set a pace for us. In fact, before He was even born, the pace was set. His entrance into our world was an expression of extravagant mercy. As Mary pondered the coming of her Divine Son, she sang a song - and it was all about mercy.

My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for He has been mindful
of the humble state of His servant.
(Luke 1:46-47)
Mary sings of the One who "has done great things for me" - the "me" being a poor, unheard-of girl quietly worshipping God while living in the obscurity of Galilee. People in that day wouldn't have been able to find Galilee on the map any easier than we can find Zambia.

Mary sings her song in grateful awe at this God who extends mercy, lifts up the humble, fills the hungry with good deeds, helps His servants and always, always remembers to be merciful. The God of the universe has not forgotten her.

Those of us who follow Christ should have this reputation with the poor. Jesus set the pace - and He beckons us to follow Him, to mimic His example in this world. I long for the people of Zambia to cry out to God in song. To worship the One who has not forgotten them.

God, help us to be merciful as You are merciful. May our Zambian brothers and sisters proclaim,
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me --
holy is His name!
Luke 1:48-49


No comments: